Monday, February 27, 2012

Elder Derek Keele, Feb. 27, 2012

That is crazy that Sister Jellen saw David! I know that David is doing great and is ready to get out into the field. I was so glad that we got to be in the MTC at the same time.
Go Jessica! That´s so good that you got a good job already! Are you going to still work at NuSkin? And are you donating plasma? My companion said I was crazy for doing that.) Ya, I´m not too excited to go to a single´s ward either. I´m going to avoid it if possible.
What a blessing for Dad and you and the whole family! That is awesome that he gets to be home on Fridays.
This week has been great! I got to baptize an investigator for my first time last Saturday! It was so great! Her name is Nancy. She is 67 and we found her as a past investigator from the last missionaries that were here a few months ago. She was so excited to be baptized, even though she didn´t remember very much of what the missionaries taught her. We taught her everything last week and she was baptized on Saturday! It was a great experience!
Last night we were lucky to be accompanied { :) } by Elder Reilei, an assistant to President Bruce. He taught us a lot and had such a great lesson. He shared thoughts about prophets and Joseph Smith. He had us close our eyes and picture what the first vision must have been like as he recited the first vision. And then afterwards he gave the whole family an opportunity to bear their testimonies. It was very special. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. All of the scripture that he translated and wrote down is the word of God. They are all true books and are a blessing to us, and it is vital that we use the Book of Mormon.
Something specific to our mission (and all the missions in South America particularly) is that we need converts. Not just baptisms, but people completely converted. We are asked to spend a lot of time teaching less-active members, recent converts, and the members. And when people are truly converted, and see the big picture, they will want to help us bring souls unto Christ. In the last two weeks I have had a big change in my perspective. As a missionary we work all day to only help others come unto Christ. And then as a result, our own testimonies have been strengthened a lot.
Up until now I have read in the scriptures, prayed, gone to church, most of the time to strengthen my own testimony. But now just focusing on others has made me think differently of how I should be when I go back home. That is great that I have been strengthening my testimony all this time, but as Christ said to Peter after he had been resurrected, "Feed my sheep". Now that you are converted, help others! Don´t just go back and fish.
I know that as we try to bring others unto Christ so that they can have the same joy we have in this gospel, we will not have to worry about our own testimonies.
I hope this made a little sense. But in other words, I am loving being a missionary and everything I am learning :)
And some slightly exciting news, I got bit by my first dog last week :D Luckily it just left a little bump on my leg, but it´s all better now. It was just a mom warning us to get away from her puppies.

hasta luego,
Elder Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment