Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Elder Derek Keele, Feb. 20, 2012

Chile is awesome! The people are all so nice and willing to listen, and my companion can really bring the spirit. There have been people, who at first glance you would think they would not care to listen at all to what we have to say, especially because I´m a gringo haha. But after a few minutes they get really interested and want to know more. It´s funny because they don´t really like Argentines here, and I know that I don´t have a lot of their respect, but yet they listen and the spirit tells them to listen and suddenly they want us to come back. It is so cool! And I´m grateful that I´ve been able to see that change in them because it is really one of the coolest things to see.
Church was great yesterday! We had three investigators come! One is a pastor of another church, but his wife and one daughter are members. The other was a girl that has a baptismal date for this Saturday (The Elders before us were working with her). And the third was the friend of a member. We taught her and the member family the night before and there was a huge change in how much she cared from the beginning of the lesson to the end.
I still haven't been able to really participate in lessons yet. I can´t think fast enough to say what I want. But every once-in-a-while my companion just turns to me and makes me say something. Then I do, and it slows down the conversation haha, but the investigator can understand me I think. My companion has forced me to do several contacts just by myself a few times, and I´ve been so amazed that I´ve been able to understand them and respond back to them. I´ve been helped out so much by the spirit and will continue to need that help.
My companion is from Buenos Aires, Capital. Like I said before he is such a ´capo´ (stud). He is a great example to me and makes me work hard.
Luckily food-wise I have only had one piece of spicy chicken, and it wasn´t even that spicy. Yay for no spicy foods! And they don´t really eat sea food either. A lot of chicken and rice. And it is all so good! There has not been one thing that I didn´t like so far! In fact, yesterday I found a good use for honeydew! No longer is it just second-hand cantaloupe in my mind! You put it in a juicer, and it is delicious! The drinks here are almost always either water, juice, or coke. Everyone has coke here. And water is more rare because you can´t just drink it from the tap. So usually just some kind of juice, or coke. Ooh! And the other day I found Inca Cola! I got excited but my companion just looked at me with a weird face. So we both got one and it was so good! It´s like creme soda. He didn´t really like it though haha. I thought it was a super good drink, but I guess to them it´s not.
President Bruce is awesome! We haven´t had our first interviews with him yet, but I think we all go back to Antofagasta next week to have them.
Elder James Gillespie, my friend from the Scera, is in my zone! I don´t know why I´ve been blessed to have him and Elder Howard in my district, but it has been so nice to talk to both of them.
Today we played soccer for two hours and then basketball for a little bit. I am so red! I forgot to put on sunscreen today. I have the other days so I´ve been fine, but I´m pretty red at the moment haha.
Oh ya! The sunsets = the best. Since we walk around so much I get to see it almost every day. My companion thinks it's weird that I like it and questioned if I have not ever seen a sunset before or something. But they are as cool here as they were in Utah. I´m actually in Alto Hopicio, a few miles from Iquique, and we can´t really see the ocean except when we drive to Iquique. So I have yet to see the sun setting over the ocean. Maybe in my next area.
I love you all!
Elder Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment