Saturday, February 11, 2012

Elder Derek Keele, Feb. 11, 2011

Oh boy! I am so pumped to go out into the field! Yesterday we had our in-field orientation and that made me so excited!
Brother Littlefield was the director, so that was pretty cool. He did a great job and helped me and the other missionaries so much! We pretty much learned everything that a missionary needs to know, other than teaching. Like using the members, how to plan well, and tons of things that a missionary needs to know.
Something really important that I learned yesterday is to make sure, as missionaries, we are being a blessing to the bishop, not a burden. Brother Littlefield helped us remember how much bishops have to do and how much is on their mind. As missionaries we should not ask them to do anything for us, but we should always ask if there is anything we can do for them. Working with the ward mission leader and the members is a little different. But we always need to remember how busy the bishop is.
I wish I could remember that day like Professor Dumbledor does when he put his memories into the pensive thing. I feel so excited now because I feel like they just told us everything we need to do to be great missionaries. I tried to take good notes and I will definitely refer back to them frequently and make sure I am doing everything right. I'm so excited to meet my mission President! President Bruce seems like the coolest guy! He sent all of us a letter a few weeks ago, and we are so excited to meet him.
Today will go by fast because we'll try to get everything packed. And then tomorrow will be a great last Sunday with our zone (all of whom I will miss so much). And then 4am Monday morning we're off!
They told us yesterday that they were starting a new program with the brand-new missionaries going in to the field. It takes an extra hour each day, and after 12 weeks we are supposed to be ready to be senior companions. It is so the new missionaries don't just tag-along with their senior companions, but they start learning how to do everything correctly from the start.
It is going to be a hard few months getting started in the field, but I am so ready! There is going to be so much more to think about than we've had in the MTC. But I'm ready to go to work :D
Hahaha thank you for sending me Jordan's e-mail. That would be terrifying--waking up to a rat in your bed would be quite startling. I hope that never happens to me haha.
Well I'll try to get on a little later today again, but if not, this is the last e-mail from the MTC! Next time you hear from me I'll be in another part of the world that only speaks Spanish and is really hot. I'm so pumped!!!
Thank you everyone so much for all the letters and packages I've received in the MTC! They have been much appreciated, and I love hearing from everyone. I've loved it here, and now I'm ready to go to the real work :D
Love,
Elder Derek Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment