Monday, September 10, 2012

Elder Derek Keele, Sept. 10, 2012

Dear family,


I sent one letter to Michael in the MTC, but never heard anything back. Another letter would not hurt though. I hope he is doing all right. 
The package sounds perfect :D Thank you!
I am so excited for Conference! I hope we can help all of the converts here to go to as many sessions as possible. I think they will though. Roberto continues to have good questions and even answers his family when they have questions. I just can´t get the idea of him being a bishop off of my mind. He is going to love conference. He already loves reading the Liahona. 
This week I have come to realize even more how different the church is here than it is in the states. In our branch of 70, only about 10 men hold the priesthood. There just aren´t very many choices for leadership. Luckily our branch president is really good. But if it weren´t him, I don´t know who else in the ward it could be without the branch falling apart. We are so blessed in Utah especially to have so many great leaders and members. Everybody needs to help out and be apart of the ward to help the church be the sacred place it needs to be for people to find God´s path. I found a statistic here the last week. At the end of April 2012, there were 1,250 members in the branch here in Tocopilla, but only 64 were active (5.1%). And talking to many of these inactive people, the biggest and most common reason they don´t go to church is because they got offended by someone in the branch. Just that! Imagine how it would be on judgement day and having to tell God that you didn´t follow His gospel and endure to the end because somebody else made you upset one day! It is so sad! They just don´t see or understand the importance of the covenants they made. I know that God is just and everything will be fair in the last day, and I don´t think that is a good enough excuse not to follow Him. 
Thankfully at home we have such good people that help the ward work how it should. The leaders have always seemed like the best examples to me. 
Now on the other side, there is an amazing lady that moved in to our branch. She just got here a month ago, but problems have happened to make many members be very against her. Someone even asked that she be excommunicated from the church. For now, the branch president suspended her from the church so that all those members don´t get upset. So she can´t have a calling, give the prayer in sacrament meeting, or even take the sacrament. What has been done to her is not right and came from rumors and judging. But she is still doing everything that she is allowed to do. She is visiting less active members, is always willing to use her house to invite non members, and set up a service project for the youth. She will not give up on doing what is right because of rumors of other people. She is amazing and, as soon as things get straightened out, will be such a strength to the branch. She is so strong, and all of this while raising 4 little kids. She is such an example to me of how Christ responded to Pharisees when they tried to punish him for healing on the Sabbath. 
Christ is our perfect example, and I am so grateful for the gift of repentance and that we can progress week by week. 
I love the mission. Being a missionary is such a blessing, and I can´t believe how fast it is going.
I hope everything gets settled down for the wedding! That is so crazy that Jessica is getting married! Haha
Love,
Elder Keele

No comments:

Post a Comment